Friday, September 4, 2015

Shadows


*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Today is a two for one! Here is a haiku I wrote today on my way home from work and a doodle to go along with it.
 
I was wandering through the grounds of my apartment complex this evening, my mind racing with many things--responsibilities from my new job, missing family, planning a new story, what to cook for dinner...--when I stopped and noticed something interesting.
 
The woman I was walking behind was the complete opposite of me--at least a foot taller, as thin as a model, platinum blonde hair, and super fashionable (it's hard for me to be hip wearing khakis)--and yet as I looked at our shadows, we were twins. Our shadows were long and lean and hid any trace of differences between us. It made me think what it would be like to be a shadow (kind of like in Peter Pan): no worries, no sadness, no insecurities, and no shortcomings. For a moment, it seemed wonderful... But then I stopped and remembered just how beautiful it is to be different. Everyone around us is their own original work of art forged after years of hard work and dedication.
 
Maybe, just maybe, that perfect world filled with perfect shadows is longing for some imperfection... because that's what makes life beautiful.
 
a.r.w.

No comments:

Post a Comment