Monday, September 7, 2015

Samhainophile


*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
Now you can't say I didn't warn you! I guess I can be a bit more macabre than I thought... My husband likes to point out how I enjoy talking about death and other weird, dark things so I might as well admit it and embrace it! Besides, there's only 54 days left until Halloween.
 
Today, I was inspired by something I actually wrote in my blog yesterday:
 
Despite my overly peppy and optimistic personality that I choose to show to other people, inside I have bats flying in my soul, black cats hopping from rib to rib, and a full moon hangs where my heart should be.
 
I like to think that's a pretty good description of who I am (and many other people I know in life... you know who you are...) and I just couldn't get that image out of my head!
 
I don't claim to be an artist or a doctor... I am 100% confident that ribs do not look like that and are not in that position... However, look at the cute black cats!
 
But in all seriousness, this doodle is for all those people in my life that adore Halloween (*cough*Swartzs*cough*). We keep it bottled up inside of us for ten months of the year and the minute summer ends we unleash our obsession and glee on those unfortunate enough to be around us.
 
Autumn is a magical time. It's almost as if the Earth is a phoenix. Just as it is dying, it bursts into flames--a beautiful display of color--only to rise up again when the snow has melted. Everything is dying and yet it is so beautiful. If a tree that simply is can die so beautifully, it gives me hope that I, as a living, breathing, moving, thinking, feeling human being can have an equally beautiful death.
 
And Halloween just adds to the magic of the season. It makes you look around and see the world a bit different--twisted. Is your neighbor really a witch like you've always suspected? That black cat has been watching you for quite some time... perhaps it knows something. The creaks in your house are suddenly the light footsteps of little ghost children. We are all witches and ghost hunters... not our mundane, 9-5 normal selves we pretend to be. And for us samhainophiles, we wish it could always be Halloween... We wish we didn't have to keep it bottled up inside of us all year long.
 
But perhaps that's what makes this time of year so special... It is only a month (okay, two months for me) and then *poof!* it is gone. The bats and cats and spooks return to their hiding place in your heart, where you keep them safe and close until it's time to pull them out again next year.
 
Sorry, folks! Halloween is in full swing for me... And I hope it is for you, too.
 
a.r.w.

No comments:

Post a Comment