Saturday, October 10, 2015

Yellow Bird

 
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
There is this joke in my family that goes back eight years now to my Uncle Tony's 50th and my cousin Ashley's 16th birthday cruise in the Caribbean--a joke about a yellow bird. When someone gets easily distracted by something, you shout, "Hey look! A yellow bird!" This joke started with one of the comedians on the ship and (like most things in my family), it just took on a life of it's own over the years.
 
There are two kinds of birds in Novosibirsk that I have seen in the last month and a half--crows and pigeons (such is city life)... That is, until today. Today I've been seeing little yellow finches everywhere!
 
I woke up this morning to see one sitting on my window ledge. Later, one almost flew in through my open window. Walking to the post office I saw five more! And as I sat down to start writing this post, another one landed on my window ledge and just stared in at me. I actually like to think that it's just one finch and that he's followed me around like a little familiar.
 
And of course, I always think back to that message Jed gave to us through my mom's friend, Nadine: Look for me in feathers. Of course the first thing that popped into my mind was that Jed was following me, helping me pick up mom's package. Whether it's a "sign" from Jed or not--who knows? But I do know that I love seeing and being distracted by these colorful little birdies.
 
Hey look! A yellow bird!
 
a.r.w.

2 comments:

  1. You know... there is a superstition here in Russia concerning birds and windows. If a bird sits on a window or, worse even, flies inside, that's a token of death. It doesn't gets into much detail from there, but most people believe that it means that a family member will die or have already died. And the latter might actually mean afterlife. So... you might be onto something here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much for that awesome insight! I had no idea... My little brother did die six months ago so maybe it was a "sign."

      Thank you so much!

      Delete