Friday, April 8, 2016

Away

the day you went away

nothing could prepare me
for the day you went away.
i saw the writing on the wall
yet still begged you to stay.

"please don't leave me all alone.
don't make me journey on
through this life's endless hopes and fears
after you've already gone."

a battle was bravely fought
and won... and lost.
and in our deep heartbreak
into a new world we were forced to cross.

i stood all alone
in a sea of doubt.
if there was no hope to be had
what was this life all about?

i wandered through my days
suddenly lost and unfeeling,
not an end at all in sight.
no chance of ever healing.

i had lost my dear sweet brother--
my long lost forgotten half.
now the silenced shared laughter
in the old photograph.

so far away.
so lost and alone.
no one could save me.
my heart turned to stone.

i still look back
on the day you went away.
i call out, "why, god? why?"
but won't hear what he has to say.

i find my comfort
in the stars above.
though distant, their light still shines
just like our shared love.

i don't need solutions
or answers to why.
all i need to do
is look up to the sky.

"i am not gone,"
a voice whispers to me.
"i am everywhere now.
oh, why can't you see?

"even as the sun shines,
the stars are still there.
let their light remind you
how much i still care.

"so continue through life--
see what lies in store.
i'll be There waiting for you
when you walk through the door."

nothing could prepare me
for the day you went away.
but as i sit and close my eyes,
loud and clear, i hear you say,

"don't worry about me!
i promise i'm fine.
we'll be together again, i swear.
but while you wait in the meantime

"take the love i gave to you;
here's the gift that i bestow:
share my love with those around you.
stand back and watch it grow!

"this is all i have to give--
this is my gift to you.
i hope it makes you smile
and will help others, too."

a piece of my heart
followed you that day.
but it seems a piece of yours, too,
decided that it would stay.

this life isn't easy.
my world is a mess.
but you were Here for a short while...
so it was blessed, nonetheless.

a.r.w.


No comments:

Post a Comment